WVIK - Morning Edition Producer, Digital Curator
Job Title: WVIK - Morning Edition Producer, Digital Curator Revised: October 2017
Status: Exempt Full-time, 12-month schedule
Reports To: WVIK - General Manager
Overview: WVIK, Quad Cities NPR, is seeking a Morning Edition Producer and Digital Curator. As producer of WVIK's daily broadcast of Morning Edition from 5 AM to 9 AM, responsibilities include maintenance of online presence during this flagship program as well as support the WVIK Newsroom, Marketing, and Membership departments in their efforts to enhance the radio broadcast with additional content for online reading.
- Morning Edition host - responsible for preparing materials for each break, including local news, station information and promos, weather, community calendar items, and traffic; as well as promote programming later in the show, day, or week, by working with General Manager, Director of Marketing and the News Director.
- Assisting in the coverage of breaking news during Morning Edition and online, including extensive coverage as the situation develops.
- Record interviews on-air and in person for inclusion in the daily broadcast, along with the production of original content and repackaging of other station content for presentation during Morning Edition.
- Also acts as fill-in host for Morning Edition.
- Reports to the General Manager, as program director.
- As Digital Curator - owning WVIK's social media - responsibilities include optimizing the radio journalist's stories for online presentation.
- Responsible for posting and maintaining on multiple social media platforms and providing a lead role for staff who contribute to station social media.
- Work with Marketing and Development to develop a consistent station social media voice and leverage multimedia tools and techniques to help tell the station's story.
- Create and execute regular social media engagement. Coordinate the on-air, online and social media presence.
- Assist in the preparation of the station promos and announcements.
- Participate in station projects, including staff meetings, committees, on-air fund drives, station events and sponsorship activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree in journalism-related field.
Skills & Experience:
- Minimum 1 year of experience in a newsroom environment, including multimedia news content training and experience.
- Working knowledge of quality NPR-style journalism, including ethics and standards.
- Knowledge of relevant FCC rules and regulations.
- Ability of effectively communicate to a radio audience through writing, production and live interviews.
- On-Air experience.
- Working knowledge of audio editing for broadcast. Experienced in producing or editing digital media.
- Knowledge of Adobe Audition, Audiovault or video editing a plus.
- Experience with website production processes and tools. Core Publisher skills a plus. Willingness to expand technology skills.
- Proficient in MS Office, including Word and Excel.
- Ability to maintain current working knowledge of regional news and culture.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a team orientation and ability to work independently.
- Ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Ability to travel throughout the region and work flexible hours when necessary.
- Demonstrated familiarity with new media techniques and a commitment to following and embracing advances in technology; comfortable with and a champion of experimentation.
- Proven track record of sharing content strategically on social media.
- Video editing skills.
- Experienced with the production and promotion of podcasts.
- Good working knowledge of Adobe Audition, AudioVault, and Wireready as well as Core Publisher and Composer 2.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to lift 10 pounds on a frequent basis. Also required is the ability to listen, hear, speak, climb stairs, bend, stoop, and stand for intermittently long periods of time. Must possess or be able to acquire a valid driver's license.
Special Requirements: The ability to speak clearly in the English language.
- Audio Submission Required
Note: This job description is subject to change and is not designed to be a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required by the employee.
Application Instructions: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com no later than November 1st 2017 for consideration full consideration. Final candidates will be required to pass a criminal background check.
Augustana College is an Equal Opportunity Employer